Thursday, May 23, 2013

Which are You?

Non-descript would describe my little meditation basket.  Brown and tan woven straw in a rectangular shape.  In it are several tiny things that represent life changing people or things in my life.  A zip bag of tiny quotes that a dear friend gave me to bring comfort when I was traveling through the valley of cancer.  A wooden flute painted red, green, and gold in vividly brilliant colors represents the travel that Nyle and I did.

In my basket are two pieces of wood.  Similar in color, shape and size these two pieces began life as a tree.  One piece of wood is driftwood, discovered resting on a beach in Oregon.  The other piece is petrified wood found in southern Utah.

Each of these pieces underwent a process of pressure...ongoing, powerful pressure.  The driftwood turned into spongy matter.  I can flake off pieces with my finger.   The petrified wood has turned to stone.  It is now hard, literally as rock...it is rock.

Both objects absorbed the surrounding elements, water for the driftwood, and soil for the petrified wood.  The analogies to life are easy.  How do WE react to the environment that  surrounds us?  Do we let negative slowly seep in, like water to driftwood?  Do we have positive elements that make us stronger like soil to the petrified wood?

Let me remind you that both started as the same type of matter.  Yet one became weaker and one stronger.

My favorite of favorite songs (I LOVE music) is "The Impossible Dream." In the play "Man of la Mancha,"  Don Quixote de la Mancha is an elderly man.  He is a widower, his children grown.  All of his life he has dreamed of leaving the world better than he found it.

Finally he takes leave of the reality that no longer suits him.  As a knight errant (in a time when there are no knights) he rides off with his trusted friend to battle evil, and bring higher ideals to the world.

At one point in his story is a quote, "Too much sanity may be madness, and maddest of all is to see life as it IS and NOT as it SHOULD BE!"  I get chills just typing that line.  That is the world I see...the world as it SHOULD BE!

He sings, "To dream the impossible dream, to fight the unbeatable foe, to bear when your arms are too weary, too reach the unreachable star...this is my quest to follow that star, no matter how hopeless no matter how far, to fight for the right, without question or pause, to be willing to march into Hell for a Heavenly cause.  And I know if I'll only be true to this glorious quest that my heart will lie peaceful and calm when I'm laid to my rest.  That the world will be better for this that one man torn and covered with scars still strove with his last ounce of courage to reach the unreachable star.

Well, I have lifted my spirits today.  I hope that someone will read this little post and be lifted as well.

2 comments:

  1. Lifted. That was so raw and pure. I love it Caroljoy. You are a joy to read. What have you always dreamed you'd do that you haven't yet achieved? I know you can do it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ligia: Easy answer, be a published author that makes enough money to support herself...to be ABLED, instead of DISabled. I worked for over 30 years professionally in one capacity and another. I had to be very creative about ways to support myself around my always fragile physical health. Still I managed until I was 42...then the medical conditions piled so high that I simply could not work any longer. It was a very rough time in my life, feeling worthless, stuck in bed for days at a time (but still trying to manage two beautiful small daughters, and a sick husband). One day I received a card in the mail from a dear friend. She had stuck a bookmark in the card that said, "When you can't make waves, make ripples." Ligia, that changed my life forever!~ So now when I'm stuck in bed for several days I plan what "quiet" activities I can participate in that I can't do on my "active" days. I CAN make ripples, even when I can't make waves! I love you dear, Caroljoy

      Delete