Sunday, January 30, 2011

RANDOM ACT OF AUNTINESS

I have two nephews named Adam. One is Adam from my husband's side of the family. The other is Adam from my side of the family. We heartily, and joyfully claim both Adam's. I spoke about one Adam last week. It's time for the other Adam to be remembered.

When I went to the Stake President for a recommend to serve a mission I carried my precious little nephew Adam with me. I was babysitting him. I was so used to carrying him with me everywhere that I didn't even consider the fact that the member of the Stake Presidency might think he was MY child!

Poor President Zollinger was so confused. He saw that my appointment was to get a recommend to serve a mission but here I was with a small child on my hip. He asked, "Where is your husband?" I thought, that's a strange question. He knows that I'm here to get my recommend to go to the temple to go on a mission. He repeated, "Where is your husband?"

Not being incredibly quick sometimes I said, "I don't have a husband. I'm going on a mission." Now the dear man DID look perplexed. He said, "How are you going on a mission with a baby?" I looked down and remembered the small child sitting peacefully on my hip. "Oh no," I said, "I'm not married!" At this point I remember President Zollinger looking like he had swallowed something that didn't agree with him.

Finally, I figured out why he was so confused. I said, "President Zollinger, this is my nephew. I'm babysitting. I am here to get my temple recommend signed so that I can go to the temple and then go on a mission. Finally we were able to proceed and President Zollinger chuckled over the whole misunderstanding.

Adam....I used to carry you around with me all over the place. I adored you then, and I adore you now. Then you were a chubby cherub with red hair and beautiful brown eyes. Now you're a husky man (skinny is overrated), with less hair, and still beautiful brown eyes.

Even though you didn't really have a choice in the matter you came with me when I got my 1st temple recommend. Granted you caused some confusion....but it is precious to me that I had you with me. I love you!

1 comment: