Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Today I Choose Happiness/Happy Not Crappy

My husband battled with all types of health challenge for the 28 years that I knew him.  He had to have a colostomy at the young age of 23, he had a kneecap removed when he was about 25, then they discovered that his lower spinal canal was far too small for his size, and the nerves around it were all malformed.  Next it was diabetes, then sarcoid, a stroke at 37...I think you get the picture.

In spite of all of this, Nyle lived with more joie de vivre than anyone else that I've ever known.  He often taught our children that our family motto was "Happy not Crappy."  That meant that it was up to us to determine that we were going to CHOOSE to be happy especially when circumstances were negative.

May I mention that while he battled all of the above battles, he finished his undergrad degree.  He worked as a producer of a feature length film, directed and acted in several music videos, and performed in plays too numerous to mention.  He was in Hamlet, he played Polonius with the professional actor Gordon Jump, and the narrator James Earl Jones. 

My honey went on to Law School.  He worked while he attended Law School.  He was on the Admissions Committee as a Student Advisor.  He maintained his status in the top 50% of his class, and graduated with a special honor called, "The Cornelius Honor Society."  This society was based on all around participation in the process of gaining a legal education.  The recipients were voted on by the student body, staff, and faculty.  It was an amazing honor, but he definitely had earned it.

Did I mention all of the physical challenges he faced during this time?  There were the days during his undergrad years that his legs would not hold him upright.  He would lie on the ground.  Using his arms he would propel himself to our car, pull himself inside and drive home.  He would repeat the same action the next day, and the next, and the next as he made his way through to his Bachelor's Degree.

He truly chose happiness.  Once he said to me, "I've decided that pain is neither bad or good, it's just a different dimension of being."  I told him, "I'm sorry.  I'm not that evolved.  I affirm your positive power, but I'm not there yet."

Breast cancer round two.  Is it possible to feel happy, content, as you battle a killing disease?  I know that it will be much harder after my double mastectomy and possible radiation or chemo to maintain a positive attitude.  To me I would rather have an ideal that I'm working towards than simply to let my emotions drive the life I live.

Thanks husband of mine for 33 years of Happy Not Crappy, and choosing happiness.  I'll do my best to live up to your inspirational attitude!

No comments:

Post a Comment