Monday, November 16, 2020

Pollyanna, A Bad Rap?

 Pollyanna.  It is a name that I've been called on multiple occasions.  It was not given as a compliment.  No, the thought was that Pollyanna, was sickening sweet.

Pollyanna, a book written by Eleanor Hodgeman Porter is a book about an orphaned girl  Her parents are both killed in an accident.  An only child, she is foisted upon an unmarried aunt.  The aunt is extremely wealthy.  She is also cold and distant.  She does not want to be disturbed by the noises of childhood so she give Pollyanna a bedroom as far away from her as possible.  Pollyanna is isolated to only a few servants. 

A strange things happens. Pollyanna introduces them all to "The Glad Game."  Her deceased father was a minister.  He does research into the "Glad" verses in the Bible.  There are many.  He decides that this is the Lord's way of encouraging people to be positive.  The game is looking for the good, even in the bad.  

Some folks feel that this attitude of gratitude makes Pollyanna shallow and saccharine.  I disagree heartily.  If you were orphaned at such a tender age, and sent to live with a emotionally distant aunt, it would make much more sense to become cold and distant, negative and disconsolate.  Instead Pollyanna inspires the community around her to better ways of looking at life.  

I'm often stuck in my bedroom due to our current pandemic.  I am immunocompromised and I live in a large apartment complex.  There are many good folks living here who do not see the need for protective face masks.  Covid19 is spread through the air.  Somebody could think they had a cold and walk through the halls unmasked.  Sometimes I do feel as though cabin fever will eat me alive.  So, I play the glad game.  I'm VERY glad that I have a warm bedroom.  I have a smart phone, and a computer.  I can reach out and connect with loved ones through these means.  My room is cozy, and in it I have things that bring me satisfaction.  As I start adding up the positives, the negatives do not go away, but those ideas simply shrink in importance. 

In one scene in the movie Pollyanna, there is a lady who has poor health.  She has decided that she's dying.  She just stays in bed all the time.  She has samples brought to her that help her choose the type of coffin she wishes to be buried in.  Pollyanna reminds her that she should focus on living, not dying.  Sometimes in little ways life seems too difficult, especially right now.  Yet life is intrinsically precious.  This life is an educational process.  It is a journey of growth.  I love the quote that says, "This life is backwards.  You get the test first, and then the lesson."

Good folks everywhere, sometimes it IS OK not to be OK.  There are times when life seems to pile challenge on challenge on challenge.  The older I get the more challenging my challenges seem to become.  I think about Olympic athletes. Did they become exceptional athletes by sticking to a short exercise program and then sitting on the couch eating bon bons?  No!  They pushed, and pushed, and pushed their limits.  They stretched and progressed.  It is up to each and everyone of us to do the same.

Your challenge for today?  Play the glad game.  Even if it is only a small thing.  Count that as a win, and move on to other positive ideas.  Maybe somebody will call you a Pollyanna.  If they do, say thank you, it's what Pollyanna would do.    

No comments:

Post a Comment