Friday, November 27, 2020

Ahhh...The Wonders of Snurffle Day!

 It began with the great Christmas Tree Hunt of 1987.  My husband, bless his heart, would somehow find the closest locations to our home where you could purchase a Christmas tree permit and then meander into the mountains and find a tree to chop down.  He was very excited about this experience.  He had to get up early because the permits would often sell out by noon.  After his purchase and using a map they would provide up he would go into the mountains in our Suzuki Samarai.  We often referred to this small vehicle as a mountain goat.  I was often amazed at the places it could take us.  

This particular hunt got us a most remarkable tree.  It had three branches at the top.  My husband purchased three white angels.  He said that we had cherubim, seraphim, and an archangel singing hallelujah.  

As the years came and went new details were added to our holiday.  It was clearly defined as the Frdiay after Thanksgiving.  We would purchase matching pajamas for our two children.  They would wear these during the day as we would decorate for Christmas.  

Next, we began to go to a Christmas tree farm.  We got free hot cocoa, and a family picture with Santa.  We got a ride up a steep hill.  We would meander about searching for that most perfect of trees.  It became apparent that my husband preferred Noble Christmas trees, while I preferred Douglas.  In the spirit of Democracy we took turns, every other year.  Somewhere along the way I became converted to Noble trees.

After a few years of joyous celebration my husband gave our family holiday a name, Snurffle Day.  I have not one single idea how he came to this name?  He was an extremely creative soul.  To me it still sounds like a holiday that Dr. Seuss would invent if he were as adorable as my husband.

As the years moved forward I began to wear matching jammies with our kids.  Nyle did not get matching jammies.  I've felt badly about that in retrospect.  He acted as though he didn't care, but maybe he was just being nice?  Regardless, the jammies went from very Christmas themed, snowflakes, snowmen, reindeer, etc. etc. to this year's rendition, velvet palazzo pants, and an adorable tee shirt that says, "Roll With It."  This theme seems extremely important during 2020 since a pandemic has become our new normal.  

We adore Snurffle Day.  It's much more fun than simply stuffing scads of edibles into our mouths.  Oh, I enjoy the gratitude attitude that Thanksgiving promotes, and I do love good food, but a day that is personal to our family?  Magical.  

By the way, Snurffle Day is not copyrighted.  If you should feel a need for Snurffleing with your family we heartily endorse this day.  You make it personal by adding your own special family touches.  I would love it if as a tribute to the creativity of my honeybunch, Snurffle Day became celebrated around the globe.  Happy Snurffle Day to one and all!

No comments:

Post a Comment