Thursday, April 25, 2013

Sexual Slavery and Human Trafficking

As I wrote my novel "Celeste, Women of the Drifting Anchor Ranch," I broke the first rule of writing.

#1.  Write what you know.  I knew very little about sexual slavery in the 19th century OR the 21st century.

#2.  Write what you know.  Again the same rule but broken in two different ways, I have never been to France, I have never emmigrated to another country, and I have never tasted wine. 

As I wrote Celeste imagine my surprise to discover she was a French girl, child of a vintner, and emmigrated to America, only to be trapped in sexual slavery.

I have probably told this story many times but now I will add the newest piece.  Yesterday I spent about two hours doing research on sexual slavery.  What frightening, dark, evil things I learned.  I feel impelled to shine the light on this practice.  As we all know darkness can NOT remain when a bright enough light fills its space.

So, hopefully, my little novel will help to make others wish to make a difference.  If just one soul was saved from this pernicious practice what a gift this would be to our world.  One of my friends said, "I have no power.  What difference can I make?" 

One person can make a HUGE difference.  For example my ONE Mama.  She gave birth to four children.  One died.  Then she proceeded to officially foster 7 children, and unofficially another 8 or so.  Now all of those children are grown and have children, and they will have children, and can you imagine the difference her love has made in this world?

Just in her own family she had 18 grandchildren, and now has over 40 great-grandchildren, and one great-great grandchild.  She did not become a famous anything.  The world will never see her as a person of power or acclaim.  Yet is she and did she make the world a better place just by being here?  I don't think anyone would argue with me if I said a firm and resounding YES!

So what difference can you and I make in the heinous practice of sexual slavery?  We can teach our children and grand-children how to protect themselves.  We can empower our children to make wise choices and help their friends to do likewise.

We can volunteer to assist with organizations that provide helplines and different methods to reach out to the disenfranchised that need our help.

The way that I am currently helping is by being a voice (I have a good LOUD voice) for education, and self-empowerment.  I will continue to shine the brightest of lights that I can find on sexual slavery and human trafficking.  Again as I said at the beginning darkness is dispelled by bright lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment