Saturday, November 17, 2012

Act Don't React

Way back a million years ago when I first got married (OK it was only 27 years ago, it just feels like light years away) I read an article in the Reader's Digest about a man who refused to let the negativity of others determine his behavior.

I was so impressed with the article (which I can't seem to find anywhere on the internet) that I used it in a training and development seminar that I taught the phone operators that I supervised. 

The story is still vivid today.  I just wish I could find it to give the writer credit.  I can't so I'll reconstruct the ideas with my own example.

I worked in various forms of customer service for over 30 years.  In addition I've worked with all sorts of business situations just as a regular human being.  (Purchasing subscriptions to magazines, or newspaper, working with creditors, or debtors...etc. etc.)

When I worked as Switchboard Supervisor.  I often would receive phone calls from people who had been offended.  Whether their complaints were real or imagined, I would do my best not to let their rudeness, or irritation become my reflection towards them.  I worked sincerely to help them in such a way that they ended the phone call with a smile.

Oh I wasn't always successful.  One phone call left me in tears.  Yet, through that work I learned a great principle that as I move through life is repeated again, and again, over, and over as though perhaps it were important to my personal development.

Act DON'T REact.  Three simple words, right?  Yet our ability to conform our behavior to those words can change our lives.  There is an excellent quote that says something to this effect, "No one can make you feel inferior without your permission."  This means that we actually choose to let another's actions impact our lives.

I hear someone say, "It's too hard.  I can't do that."  I have a one word response to that comment....NONSENSE!  It takes practice and it IS hard, but it's amazing how much better you feel when you do not let your mood or actions depend on the actions of those around you.

So today, when that car cuts you off on the freeway blow them a kiss.  That's what my handsome hubby did a lot.  When someone was annoyed at him for something rude THEY had done (in a vehicle) he would simply blow them kisses.  One man saw Nyle's reaction and started to chuckle. 

So....my challenge today, ACT DON'T REACT!  Try it.  Then send me your stories about this idea.  Please send me comments...I LOVE to hear from others, and know what things are happening in your world!

No comments:

Post a Comment